if you are one of those folks who love to get a bite full of jam in every cookie, well, these cookies are just for you! i use seedless raspberry jam in this recipe, but any sturdy jam or jelly will work just fine! the possibilities are unlimited! and, if i may suggest, these cookies go perfect alongside a piping hot cup of cocoa!
8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/3 cup baker’s sugar
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon lukewarm water
1 1/2 cups seedless raspberry jam
1. in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and baker’s sugar until fluffy and pale in color.
2. incorporate flour and salt, beating on low speed, just until combined. (do not overmix)
3. divide dough in 1/2, flattening each into a disk. roll out to 1/8″ thickness, placing on parchment, then refrigerating for about 30 minutes.
4. mix egg yolk and 1/2 teaspoon lukewarm water until well combined.
5. remove one disk of dough from refrigerator, and place on cutting board. with round cookie cutter (i use a 2 1/2″ round, but you can also you a star shaped or square cutter), cut out cookies.
6. spoon raspberry jam into center of cut out cookie. lightly brush exposed portions of cookie dough with yolk/water mixture.
7. with your circular cookie cutouts, gently pinch edge to form 4 corners (jam will still be visible), and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
8. refrigerate for 30 minutes.
9. preheat oven to 375 degrees.
10. place cookie sheet in oven, baking until cookies are light golden brown, approximately 14-16 minutes.
11. remove from oven, transferring baking sheets to wire racks for complete cooling. when cookies are cool, remove from baking sheet and transfer to airtight container.
yield: 40 cookies